Advantages of Plant-Based Protein
It seems that meatless products are gaining a lot of attention in the news. But why? What are the advantages of plant-based protein? The answers to this question fall into two categories – health and environment.
What are the health benefits of plant-based protein?
- Lower saturated fat than meat-based protein foods
- Lower risk of cardiovascular disease – heart attacks, atherosclerosis, arteriosclerosis, and stroke
- Lower risk of some types of cancer
- Benefits for weight management. About 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese
- Lower risk of type 2 diabetes or becoming pre-diabetic. Nearly half of Americans are diabetic or pre-diabetic
- Increased fiber intake. On average, Americans take in 15 grams or less a day yet women need at least 21 grams and men a minimum of 30 grams
- Improved digestion
Plant-based protein is available in food sources and also protein powder.
What are the environmental benefits of plant-based protein?
- Reduces deforestation and the effects on the animals, plants, and insects that live within them
- Lessens soil degradation, allowing farmers to continue to produce their crops in quantity and quality
- Improves freshwater consumption
- Lower greenhouse emissions – carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide
- Reduces fossil fuel energy consumption – growing, preparing, and transporting
- Eliminates animal cruelty – how animals are cared for, fed, or slaughtered
We at Catalyst 4 Fitness recognize some people cite the reason they eat meat, even processed red meat, is because it is a “complete” protein. they believe that only animal proteins can help them with muscle growth. In other words, meat contains the nine essential amino acids that comprise a complete source of protein. These are called essential because our bodies can not produce them. Instead, we must take them in through our diets. We understand this and have addressed it.
You can choose a Catalyst Bar knowing it is made with a special blend of soy-free plant-based proteins that provide the nine essential amino acids to make a complete protein!
Whether you follow a plant-based diet or only eat plant-based protein occasionally, fuel your body right with Catalyst Bars!