Plant-Based Protein Benefits
Meatless products are gaining a lot of attention in the news. But why? What are plant based protein benefits? The answers to this question fall into two categories – health and environment.
What are the health benefits of plant based protein?
- Lower saturated fat than meat-based protein foods
- Lower risk of cardiovascular disease – heart attacks, atherosclerosis, arteriosclerosis, and stroke
- Lower risk of some types of cancer
- Benefits for weight management. About 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese
- Lower risk of type 2 diabetes or becoming pre-diabetic. Nearly half of Americans are diabetic or pre-diabetic
- Increased fiber intake. On average, Americans take in 15 grams or less a day yet women need at least 21 grams and men a minimum of 30 grams
- Improved digestion
Plant protein is available in food sources and also plant-based protein powder.
What are its environmental benefits?
- Reduces deforestation and the effects on the animals, plants, and insects that live within them
- Lessens soil degradation, allowing farmers to continue to produce their crops in quantity and quality
- Improves freshwater consumption
- Lower greenhouse emissions – carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide
- Reduces fossil fuel energy consumption – growing, preparing, and transporting
- Eliminates animal cruelty – how animals are cared for, fed, or slaughtered
We at Catalyst 4 Fitness recognize some people choose to eat chicken, beef, or whey protein, because they are complete proteins. A complete protein provides you with the nine essential amino acids: histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine. These are called essential because we need them to help with immunity, digestive problems, depression, fertility issues, lower mental alertness, to prevent slowed growth in children, and many other health issues. We can not produce them ourselves. Instead, we must acquire them through our diets. We understand this and have addressed it.
Whether you follow a plant-based diet or only eat plant-based protein occasionally, get plant-based protein benefits by fueling your body right with Catalyst Bars!